Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ladies and Gentleman, please prepare for take off...

Well, it has been an interesting couple of days. It started by a very sad goodbye on Sunday night, waking up around 6am Monday morning, and packing and heading to the airport by 11. Sounds hectic? Well, that was the easy part.



Checking into SFO was a breeze, security line was about 4 deep, and my gate was perfectly placed next to a wonderful café, where I enjoyed an unusually delicious cup of tropical green tea. It was about 1:30 and flight 900 headed to Frankfurt was just beginning the boarding process. I was next, row 54 seat K, 7 rows from the back of an enormous 747, equipped with an upper deck. Walked back to my seat, and as usual, located the best looking boy on the plane to help put my carry on in the over head compartment. Little to my knowledge, that boy, Dominic from Switzerland, was about to become my travelling buddy and a lifelong friend.



We are ready to back away from the gate when the captain Comes on the loud speaker to announce a faulty PA system in business class. That’s right, PA SYSTEM. Was this an airplane or a journey concert? Well, when maintenance took THREE hours to establish the fact that they could not fix it and we had to get off the plane, I assumed, PA systems are a big deal. It was about 5 pm when we were informed of another 747 being present at SFO, and that was our plane for the job. All that was needed was a pilot to get us to Germany. We all pile into the terminal, when I announce, “I’m going to the bar” from there about half of the plane heard, and there we were, Dominic, Keri, and I leading the charge. About 2 Sam Adams and some quesadillas down, we finally were called back to the gate to board the new plane at 9:15, take off around 10, and land in Frankfurt at 4:30. Only about 8 hours behind schedule. (going on 14 hours of being awake)



Flight… uneventful. With 11 hours behind us, it was now time to figure out my arrangements to Hamburg. I followed Dominic, also going to Hamburg, and Keri, on her way to the Alps, to the Lufthansa help desk where I was rudely ensured a flight to Hamburg will be under way for a small sum of 380 euros. That is absolutely ridiculous, and not an option. From that point, I went to find baggage claim, purchase an ICE train ticket, and head to the station. Along the way I met a girl named Katia on her way home from Australia. We had some coffee while I waited for my train, and she waited for hers. 107 euros later, I was finally bound for Hamburg!



Being awake for almost 2 days, drinking Sam Adams with a bunch of angry Europeans, and unable to use my calling card upon arrival were all tough situations to deal with. But I’ll never forget saying goodbye to my two new great friends. Two bloodshot eyes, stretched out clothes, and a few tears later I am finally sitting on the ICE train headed to Hamburg. It is currently 7:17 pm local time, and about 44 degrees Fahrenheit. I have a four hour train ride and all I can think about is laughing to WALL-E, eating gross plane food, and discussing the beauty of life and how lucky I am to be travelling even during times of heartache with my two new friends. I’m really going to miss them.

No comments: