Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What I eat and drink in a day...

It’s about 3:45am and the snooze button has been hit only 3 times this morning. I’m finally awake. My hair has slightly formed to the upper right side of the pillow, I can barely see because my contacts are in the bathroom and who knows where my glasses are, and of course I have an angry Pomeranian-Chihuahua mix staring me down and wondering why I wake up this early, unfortunately, he isn’t the only one who wonders that.

As I unconsciously step off the couch, which is where I wake up around 2am and realize I need to be up in two hours therefore the journey from the sofa to the bed isn’t necessary, I stumble over to the kitchen with one eye open. The first stop is the fridge, home of the only thing that can get my day rolling, espresso.

Breakfast: shot of espresso=9 calories

Ever since my trip throughout Italy over Christmas break, I have formed an intense addiction to illy espresso. The funny part is that I don’t think it’s the espresso I enjoy, but the memories that it brings back.

There are many times that I have made it through the process of making the espresso and am drinking it that I actually realize, “Its 4:15 and I need to be at work in 20 minutes.” That is usually when the multi step breakfast process begins.

At this hour, everything must be previously planned out; otherwise, it just wouldn’t get done.

  • Step one: Walk to the fridge and grab the bag.
  • Step two: Put a raw chunk of duck into the bowl.
  • Step three: Place the bowl on the ground and admire the velocity at which Poncho consumes the raw meat.
  • Step four: Realize the food I just made is for the dog, and not me, and now it is way too late to make my own breakfast.

From there I rush to work with either a) an Oreo cookie b) a banana (on a rare good day) or c) some form of leftover food that will eventually be given to the homeless man who greets me every morning.

Today, the lucky winner was the Oreo cookie.

Breakfast: an Oreo=55 calories

Tuesday, March 17th, is St Patrick ’s Day. What exactly that means to my life.

If you didn’t already know, I work for a radio station, and it just so happens that today we will be broadcasting from an Irish pub on Polk Street, one of which I will keep anonymous...

At this point I'm going to be late and so this will have to be continued....


It's now 2pm: The bar was wall to wall people, free corned beef and cabbage, and of course free drinks for 95.7 the wolf! I was busy making sure all of the broadcasts were OK, organizing events, giving away prizes, hosting contests, and publicizing the station. Amidst all of the craziness, the only thing I was able to consume for lunch was a half Guinness/half cider.

Lunch: Guinness/ Magner’s cider=123 calories

I will be leaving for my second job in about an hour. I am working at Toast, a restaurant in Noe Valley, from 3 until about 9.



It is now Wednesday, March 18, 2009, I only went into work last night until around 6 and then got someone to fill in for me. My godparents are here visiting from home (Massachusetts) and so I decided to spend the night with them. We met up around 6:30 and I made them dinner. They can thank ESF for that! We had spaghetti, turkey balls, eggplant parmesian, and some collard greens. For dessert we had pear and cranberry pie from Mission Pies! I dont mean to toot my own horn, but I must say, dinner was delicious.




Dinner:

Glass of red wine= 140

Spaghetti= about 200

2 turkey balls= 100

1 slice of eggplant parm=220

Collard greens= 30

Tiny slice of pear/cranberry pie= 220

approximate total= 910 calories

Tuesdays total= 1097 Calories


and the best part is....

I didn't have to do the dishes!






A few final thoughts:
Documenting what I eat and drink in a day was a very educational experience on many different levels. I have not only learned that I need to take more time out of my day to have a healthy and well balanced diet, but I also need to change my schedule before I make myself sick! I have been working between 10 and 18 hours a day for the past couple of weeks and its really starting to affect my sleep, my diet, and my social life. They all do not exist anymore.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dinner looks great!

i'm sorry you have to wake up so early. when i was interning at a tv station, my wakeup call was 3am. ahh the bad memories.

laura_p said...

your day sounds exhausting!! i'm amazed you were able to pull together such an impressive dinner. mad props.

Anonymous said...

That food looks soooo good! I also am amazed that you made it after that crazy day!
PS: For a second, I actually thought you were going to eat the dog food and was trying to convince myself that maybe it was good...haha...

ashton rambles said...

you are one crazy girl for having to get up that early! way cool that you work for the wolf though :) all my friends change my country stations as soon as they get in the car, glad to know someone else out there is down for some country tunes too :)