Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Its whats for dinner ...

Moving to San Francisco was definitely an enormous step in my life. I am a small town girl who grew up with tons of land, animals, and quiet surroundings. I was nervous to move to a big city, but it wasn’t long before the comfort of west coast living settled in and I found the things that I loved most about my new home in San Francisco. The frantic hustle and bustle, the vibrant city nightlife, and among those, the small neighborhood vibes are what makes San Francisco one of the most unique cities in the world. My first house here was on Dolores Street in Noe Valley. It was an old Victorian built in 1905 and in an amazing location.

Eventually, after adjusting to city living, I decided to move to the South of Market area and experience more of a city atmosphere. After moving, I realized what it was about Noe Valley that made adjusting to San Francisco so easy, the produce market and the butcher shop. I would go everyday and buy what I needed for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I knew everyone’s name, and they knew mine.

Now that I live on Berry Street, I shop at Safeway once every couple of weeks. Although it is convenient with my busy schedule because I have the ability to buy food in bulk, it is totally against my morality. I love supporting small family owned markets, and will only contribute to corporate America for a little while longer. With that being said, I figured out a way to make myself feel better about my new habit of buying food in large quantities from a chain grocery store. It was by inviting friends over to help eat the food and simultaneously to contribute to my meal assignment for ESF. Coincidentally, it also gave me the opportunity to catch up with the people I love who I don’t see very often anymore because of my hectic lifestyle.

Initially, I thought it would be fun to have a DIY sushi night. It was perfect in my eyes because I don’t have the time to make an entire meal on my own, and of course everyone loves playing with food. My idea was immediately shut down when I couldn’t find any sushi grade fresh fish on a Sunday. My new idea was then DIY tacos. Tacos are simple to create and delicious to consume!

Mental Preparation:

The line up:

brown rice, black beans, salsa, sour cream, jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado, grilled chicken, wheat tortillas






The evidence:



Overall, dinner was a success. We all stuffed our tortilla's with as much as possible, drank a bottle of champagne, and eventually passed out on the sofa. It quite possibly initiated the start of a monthly tradition.

No comments: