Wednesday, January 7, 2009

a lifetime of memories...

Status: Happy… and sad.
I honestly can’t believe it has almost been a month already.

We are currently in Valencia, Spain. We arrived yesterday morning by train and were greeted by Fran. Fran is a nice Spanish boy who Megan became friends with by studying in Denmark.


The last couple of days in Barcelona were a lot of fun. Saturday night we went to see #1 FC Barcelona play Mallorca. The stadium was unbelievable. It is actually the largest soccer stadium in Europe, so I was told. Sometimes it is hard to believe everything you hear because Europeans are so patriotic. Anyways, they easily won 3-1. It was quite funny, at the beginning of the game when both teams came onto the field to warm up, the crowd started whistling. Melanie and I figured that it was for Barcelona, and decided to whistle along. I don’t think it was until 10 minutes into the game that we realized, here in Spain, whistling is a bad thing. Throughout the game were cheering for Mallorca, and did not even realize it.

After the match, we decided to grab some Tapas by our hostel. They were mmm mmm good! I found the one thing I may miss the most about this trip: Papas Bravas and the Spanish Tortilla. They are both so delicious.

The days following the game were spent just exploring Barcelona; another trip to Gaudi Park, a visit to the Segrada Familia, some shopping, a lot of wine, and finally the 3 kings parade.
Valencia is like a whole new world compared to Barca. It is 3 hours south and a smaller, more modern, coastal city. I prefer to be here in Valencia because it is much less overwhelming, although, no one speaks English! Hopefully I don’t bring my habit of pointing to what I want back to the states with me.
Today we decided to walk around the city and do a little shopping. Yesterday was the 3 King’s holiday here in Spain, which is like their Christmas. So today was similar to black Friday in the states. Everything was at least 50% off, and people crowded the streets everywhere. Tomorrow will likely be the same.
Friday afternoon I am leaving for Switzerland. I am really excited, but a little sad because that is my final destination on this crazy adventure! Unfortunately, in a week from now reality must set in.

No comments: