Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Back in the good ol' U.S. of A.

Well, I'm back in California!
sorry I havent been writing... I have been without internet for the past week...


The end of last week was a little hectic and very chilly. Friday morning I woke up in Valencia to rain and freezing temperatures to make it to the airport for my flight to Milan. It has been cold and snowing in all of Europe and most flights and trains were either delayed or cancelled for a couple days. It is like Europe doesnt know what to do with the recent winter weather which they have not experienced in a long time. I finally made it to Bern, Switzerland on friday night at 11:30, only 3 hours past my original arrival time. My flight was late and the train was also a little delayed. I had to make an unexpected stop in Brig, Switzerland to switch trains, but was very happy to do so. I was surrounded by the Alps... The only thing lighting the station was the full moon and the sky full of stars. I stood there, in the middle of a foreign land, with tears in my eyes, warmth in my heart, and soaked in the surrounding landscape which I am positive I will never experience again in my life.


Switzerland was beautiful. Bern, the capital, was a quiet, quaint, little city that filled every expectation I had of the country. I was blown away by its beauty. I stayed on the main little street in Bern, where right outside the door were cobble stones, chocolate stores, cafes, markets, art stores and cathedrals... We were able to hear the bells peacefully ring every hour.. During the days we mainly just walked around the streets and sat in cafes. It was snowy and really cold, but the warmth of the people and the places were enough to make it one of my favorite destinations on the trip.




I had to board the train on Tuesday morning at 6am to make it to Frankfurt, Germany in order to catch my flight back home. I arrived in San Francisco around 4pm on Tuesday and was welcomed by 70 degree temperatures and sunshine... along with my mother and my little Poncho. From the moment the captain came on to announce our initial decend into SFO, I had a smile from ear to ear and tears of joy to finally be with my family again.




Although I am excited to be back, last night brought a very restless sleep. All I could think about were the amazing memories that I have made over the past month. My european adventure will be in my thoughts and in my heart for the rest of my life.


I am already counting the days to the moment when I step back onto European land, and get to experience more moments that will continue to create the person I am...
Europe 2008-2009: one of the best months in this girls life.

No comments: